Search This Blog

Monday, December 31, 2012

New (old) toy: Samsung Galaxy p7300 (8.9" tablet)

Last September I bought an used tablet in the hope to make Plasma Active run in it and also to read some .pdf files when I am on bed and when travelling. The four things I really like in this tablet is:


  1. Its 8.9" screen size, which is the perfect size in my oppinion. 7" is too small and 10" is too big and heavy;
  2. 6000 mAh battery, which should last 10 hours playing video;
  3. 3G support;
  4. Good screen contrast, it helps when reading under sunlight.
Now the things I do not like:

  • It suffers from the eMMC bug :-( so there is a risk that it bricks forever.
  • It does not run ordinary Linux distributions. Remember: Android is Linux, just not an ordinary Linux distribution. Well, that is expected, most tablets also show this problem;
  • Proprietary port and no USB. You can easly buy a OTG adapter, which I did, so this is not a big deal;
  • Comes with Android 2.3. I upgraded it to Android 4.0.4 (Ice Screen Sandwich) last weekend and in this post I going to show you how to do. Unfortunately it seems this tablet is never going to receive any other Android upgrade, so ICS is the lastest Android we can get unless someone can port the drivers (specially the 3G modem driver) to Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean).
To upgrade the tablet to ICS P7300XXLQ6_P7300OXALQ6_ATO:

  1. root the tablet using these instructions. This is easier to do than it sounds.
  2. Download the firmware from here and follow these instructions. Unfortunatelly the Odin programa needed in this step run only in Windows. I tried to use Reimdall, but it does not recognize my tablet.
  3. Follow these instructions to root the new installed ICS firmware.

No comments: