Search This Blog

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Akademy 2015

Spain is a very nice place to visit. After the two Solid Sprints in Madrid and Akademy 2013, now it was time to visit A Coruna.

My trip to A Coruna started in July 22 from Rio de Janeiro city, where I live, to São Paulo city. While I was waiting for the flight in Rio de Janeiro I feared it would be cancelled because of the bad weather. The flight right before mine in the schedule was cancelled, then I became more apprehensive. After one hour of delay they announced the new boarding time and I reached São Paulo with plenty of time to take the flight to Madrid and from there to A Coruna.

Going to the hostel by bus was easier than I had thought. I was also lucky enough to take the Rialta bus in the second part of the trip from the airport to the hostel :-)

For me, Akademy started with attending KDE e.V General Assembly. About five hours discussing current KDE situation and what could we do to improve it. After the assembly we went back to the Rialta hostel for the first party during Akademy :-)

The next two days of Akademy were dedicated to the talks. This is year I think the most prominent talk was the one about Plasma Phone (the link contains a video of the talk). That was really exciting talk. I also like the fact that the work we did for Plasma Active is still alive and with a bright future ahead. Now I just need to figure out how to install Plasma Mobile in my smartphone :-)

Alex Fiestas' On how Agile, TDD, CI and CD are the same talk was also very interesting for me because I responsible for maintaining the continuous integration infrastructure in my daily work (besides being a developer and doing some administrative work too). I share Alex vision about the importance of continuous feedback. Nice tak Alex.

The last week of Akademy is reserved for BoFs and the day trip. I am a member of the Solid team and since Solid Maintainer could not attend Akademy I decided to schedule and conduct the Solid BoF this year. The BoF notes are here. The most important thing, for me, during the BoF was the decision to pass to Jan Grulich the Network Management maintainership. I will still work on network management for KDE, there are still some things I want to implement in Plasma NM.

I attended some other BoF, interesting and important things being discussed there. Sure this is an important part of Akademy.

The day trip happened on Wednesday we went to Aquarium Finisterrae and the Hercules tower area. Nice places to visit and I enjoyed every minute. Other things that I enjoyed was walking to the venue (nice view), the food :-) (except squid, I do not like eating squids :-P) and the weather (not too cold during the night and not too hot during the day).

That was one of my best Akademy's. A big thank you to the local team and Kenny Duffus for making Akademy such an enjoyable event. See you all at next Akademy.

1 comment:

Leonardo said...

Thanks a lot for all your work with KDE ! It's great to see people from Brazil working on this great project.