The * indicates the current configuration and the line below it shows the actual access technology used. As you can see my operator has no 3G network here where I live. Other two operators have 3G here, I used to use of them but since they limit my speed to 128 kbps after 1 GB of data I switched to my current operator, which also limits me after 1 GB, but in 200 kbps and the bill is about $14 cheaper. "Unlimited" plans are very common here in Brazil, so I can download everything I want at 200 kbps maximum for about $33.50 (expensive but I do not have better alternatives). Usually the speed is around 100 kbps, it only reaches 230-240 kbps (modem maximum in 2G mode) after midnight (vampiristic 2G I may say hehe). The other configurations are:
I have also updated the patches and documentation in both http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3769 and http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3778.
Before someone from usability team criticises the screenshot above, I only did that to test my changes in solid. Knm already has some code that allowed me to add my test code so I did it. That screen will get much more ugly until I finish my changes in solid, after that I plan to move some things (like the preference technology combo box above) to a better place.
As some people asked me, my changes to solid can be used in networkmanagement plasma applet too or any oher KDE program. I hope to finish my patch to solid by Akademy date since I am going to Akademy this year.